EXTINCTION REBELLION MANCHESTER
We aimed to get 100,000 people to surround Parliament peacefully for the Big One, and it certainly feels like we did just that. We stood together with our Manchester flag amongst tens of thousands of others.
In the months beforehand we built coalitions, organised talks, talked to people on the street, leafleted, whatever we could turn our hand to. We made huge steps forward but the Government is not listening and there is more to be done.
Everyone has a part to play as the XR groups around Manchester build the building blocks of resistance together.
If you are feeling you really need to 'do something' then now is the time. Use the 'sign up' tab to receive our emails. Get in touch with your local group (details below), you won't look back.
If there is no group near you but you would love to play a part in starting one then email email@example.com and we will do our utmost to support, guide and help.
Welcome to Extinction Rebellion in Greater Manchester
We need you, and every part of you! We are all crew, and what that means is please pitch in, don’t hang back or wait for others to tell you what to do. Feel free to ask questions, let us know what your needs are.
Current local groups meeting in Greater Manchester:
- XR Bolton & Bury
firstname.lastname@example.org - Extinction Rebellion Bury
- XR Chorlton
Meets alternate Thursdays at 7 pm - email@example.com
- XR Didsbury
Meets alternate Wednesdays at 7 pm - firstname.lastname@example.org
- XR Levenshulme
Meets alternate Sundays at 7:30 pm - email@example.com - Sign up
- XR Mossley and Saddleworth
Contact directly via XR Mossley and Saddleworth or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in touch
- XR Rochdale
- XR Trafford
email@example.com - Extinction Rebellion Trafford
When in doubt email firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a summary of useful information, and where to go to stay up to date.
- https://extinctionrebellion.uk Please take the time to look around the Extinction Rebellion website and educate yourself. It is excellent and full of really clear information, videos and resources. Explore the three tabs: Tell the Truth, Act Now, Be the Change.
- Sign up. If you haven’t already done so, sign up for the Extinction Rebellion emails which are not too frequent, informative, easy to read and help us connect to the wider movement. You can sign up on the home page of the website ‘Sign Up’ or, if you also wish to receive occasional emails from XR North then the easiest place to do that is at https://xrmcr.org/signup
- Download the Telegram app (like WhatsApp but not owned by Facebook) if you haven’t got it already.
- Once on Telegram, it is highly recommended that you join the Rebellion Broadcast. This is not a chat and is select movement-wide announcements and info on UK wide actions. It will keep you in the loop. https://t.me/rebellionbroadcast
- There is also Movement Broadcast, which is select movement-wide announcements largely regarding online training opportunities. These are very worthwhile. Equip yourself.
To find out more about our Three Demands and our Principles and Values it is a good idea to attend a ‘Welcome to XR’ online session, these are run online every Tuesday at 7 pm. More details on the website here: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/event/welcome-to-xr/
To understand more about the climate and ecological emergency, why our politics is broken, and why it is time to resort to non violent direct action (NVDA) then please sign up to our online talk, ‘Heading for Extinction - and what to do about it’ which happens fortnightly on a Wednesday evening at 7 pm. Details: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/event/heading-for-extinction-talks-july-and-august/.
To equip yourself to take part in non violent direct action it is important to attend an NVDA training, either online, or in person or both. For online trainings check the XR UK Events page. Any in person NVDA trainings will be advertised on the XR Manchester Facebook events page.
There are many more trainings available. Check out the events page of the website and/or Movement Broadcast on Telegram (details of both already mentioned).
Extinction Rebellion Three Demands
- Tell The Truth: All institutions must communicate the danger we are in. We must be clear about the extreme cascading risks humanity now faces, the injustice this represents, its historic roots, and the urgent need for rapid political, social and economic change.
- Act Now: Every part of society must act now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025 and begin protecting and repairing nature immediately. The whole of society must move into a new precautionary paradigm, where life is sacred and all are in service to ensuring its future.
- Be the Change: We demand a culture of participation, fairness and transparency. The Government must create and be led by a Citizens’ Assembly on Climate and Ecological Justice. Only the common sense of ordinary people will help us navigate the challenging decisions ahead.
XR Principles and Values
- WE HAVE A SHARED VISION OF CHANGE
Creating a world that is fit for the next 7 generations to live in.
- WE SET OUR MISSION ON WHAT IS NECESSARY
Mobilising 3.5% of the population to achieve system change – such as “Momentum- driven organising” to achieve this.
- WE NEED A REGENERATIVE CULTURE
Creating a culture which is healthy, resilient and adaptable.
- WE OPENLY CHALLENGE OURSELVES AND THIS TOXIC SYSTEM
Leaving our comfort zones to take action for change.
- WE VALUE REFLECTING AND LEARNING
Following a cycle of action, reflection, learning, and planning for more action. Learning from other movements and contexts as well as our own experiences.
- WE WELCOME EVERYONE AND EVERY PART OF EVERYONE
Working actively to create safer and more accessible spaces.
- WE ACTIVELY MITIGATE POWER
Breaking down hierarchies of power for more equitable participation
- WE AVOID BLAMING AND SHAMING
We live in a toxic system, but no one individual is to blame.
- WE ARE A NON-VIOLENT NETWORK
Using nonviolent strategy and tactics as the most effective way to bring about change.
- WE ARE BASED ON AUTONOMY AND DECENTRALISATION
We collectively create the structures we need to challenge the system. Anyone who follows these principles and values can take action in the name of Extinction Rebellion.